Saturday, November 22, 2008

Every year the Thai's celebrate the Buddhist holiday called Loy-grah-tone. One night there is a huge display of lanterns throughout the sky. Some are lit and sent with a prayer of for-giveness of sins. However, today this festival is not much more than Christmas is to some people in the states. So many people celebrate it with no religious connection. Nevertheless, it sure was something to see, when all the lanterns were sent up at the same time and just decorated the sky. Pictures can't give you the thousand words that is due really, it was kinda one of those bitter-sweet moments. So here's my attempt to do this night justice.
This was after the official launch.
But they continued to let them go all night...(haha, that sounded funny)
We chose to picnice under this tree nearby with tons of lit lanterns in it; and have homemade icecream. I caught this shot from under the tree.
Wednesday night of the celebration, loads of people come to the Ping river to shoot fireworks, firecrackers, sparklers and anything of the sort. If you're one for safety, then you wouldn’t like thisnight. There are no rules and regulations for shooting fireworks here in Thailand. Everything goes...
My students, Dye, Ying, and Fern. I absolutely love teaching these girls. I've taught them for a month so far and they plan to come back after the new year.
fire cracker box..
Buddhist ritual. They light these and send them down the river with a prayer and often-times money. One of my missionary friend's and I watched a man wade into the river checking all the bouquets for money. It was kinda funny to see.
All the little lights on the water are the bouquets boats
sparkler time :0)
It was a great night
Narrawat Brigde. Behind me is the church I attend.
Neat shot

No comments: