Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A New Home

Some of you know about a "discipleship home" I mentioned in previous letters. Well, I was able to make my home there. I have two Thai roomates, Beaw and Wor, who are great. I also have a large room to myself. I settled right in. I'm really glad this place opened up again, because I'd been really hoping for this living arrangement. The greatest thing is that it's litterally across the street from the Centre.
My Arrival here from the start has only been exciting. I'm loving it so much. Aside from the heat and the city smells...I'm so glad I'm in this place and that God has me here. I've only been here for a couple of days, but I feel at home already. The team at the Centre is incredible and I'm anxious to begin teaching. I start next week. It's very layed back and there is nothing to fret about. The people are very forgiving here.
My day starts at 12:00 or 1:00 and ends sometime in the evening depending on the nights. I've only been getting about 5 hrs of sleep since I've been here. I'm a morning person so it's been hard. Hopefully I'll adjust to the noises of the animals and city streets and be able to sleep right through it :0) I've already been lost after a "song tum" (public transport) dropped off me and a couple others in the center of Chiang Mai University...which is huge! It's like 4 blocks or something, it's crazy. I've eaten Thai food and ordered in Thai. (Sorry Beth...I haven't eaten a spider...nor will I :0) ) I've opened a bank account here and bought a mobile phone and...well a bunch of stuff. It's so hot here. It's like 'insta' sweat :0) I'm adjusting better than I thought I would though. Even the Thai are complaining about the heat, so it's not just a westerner thing :0). Be praying about a Thai tutor. I have a friend here that says it's helped her. Since I have Thai roomates I thought of asking help from them first, but I like the idea of a Thai tutor too. I'm going to wait a couple of months probably to see if I can afford it. My friend pays about 200 Baht per 1hr session; it would be about 100 dollars a month. I would probably look at doing it for about 4 months. I'm praying about it for now :0). Be praying for English camp this Friday... the staff and some students will be going about 30 min. away to spend the weekend teaching and learning english and giving their personal testimonies. Many of those coming are not believers. Pray we could build great relationships and that many could come. One young girl came last year and was saved shortly after. I thank God that I have this opportunity to "break me in" and allow me to get to know the students before I start to teach. I'll write again soon...
This pic is for you Roger...just so you know I'm well taken care of :0)
This was at night Bazaar...like a huge outside market/mall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Michelle... it's really good to hear from you! I am glad you're there safe and sound... I am praying for you and I love you.

-Steph v.

Beth Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear you are adjusting so easily michelle, I can say that I know excatloy what you are going thru, I have no doubt the Lord will use you mightily. love in Christ always, Yvette

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! You made it, with quite the unexpected departure...I'm glad we serve a MIGHTY GOD!

We're praying for you over here and will look forward to your updates. Joy and Jessie say HI!

You are missed, but we know you are in the ceter of God's will and we wouldn't want anything less.

Love ya! Natausha

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I'm so happy that you arrived and are settling in!! I've been praying for you and have been so curious about how things have been going for you... I may have stalked your facebook and wall-to-wall conversations.. don't hate me though! I have been facinated with the whole story. I hope everything goes great there, as I'm sure it will! Thanks for keeping us updated!!!
Love,
Maria Z.