Friday, September 5, 2008

Smells of Maine Summer

Do you know those unique smells that remind you of a time or place in your life. You know, like the mud in spring, or the lotion you had in grade eight, or the musty smell of your grandmother's basement or the old cinema in your town. Well, today I got a wiff of our Maine summer smell. Trust me, Chiang Mai, Thailand smells largely different. I walked out my front door where I first noticed it was drizzling a bit, which didn't make sense at all because all I could see was blue sky and very little clouds. I exchanged a look with a Thai neighbor after looking to the sky, and we both shared a laugh. I said, "Where's the rain coming from?" and for once the language barrier made no difference to either of us. Anyway I was on the way to the internet cafe, caught the smell and for a moment all the memories of summer in Maine flooded back. And like any split second thought my mind ran for moments longer, and just as soon as it had come it left and back came Thailand. Oh well, today I'm thanking God for even the littlest of things like memories and smells that go with'em. Sorry there are no pictures that can really justify something like this :) I miss you all and hope you have a marvellous day :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you too Michelle. Praying for you down deep in the heart of Texas.

Anonymous said...

I often get smells of Guam...it's nice memories!