Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cooking Nights

So every wednesday is exciting here at the center. After classes we have our cooking nights. For three wednesdays out of the month we try to cook some western food and then one we cook Thai food. Most of the time we stay right at the Center, but last Wednesday we went to one of the teacher's houses. Bev, her name, cooked pork roast with mashed potatoes....
Sorry I didn't get this pic at the start of the night. But at least you know it was liked :0)
This is Bev...
There was also wonderful dessert....Twinkie cake and pumkin cake...
Cooking nights and other events the Center holds is a great way to make the students feel more like friends then just students; and it makes them have to speak english conversationally with the foreigners there.
Jamie...England humor I suppose :0)
This week we're having "Bangers and Mash" in honor of our England theme for the week. Jamie and Cynthia are two workers here from England so they say it like 'bangas and mash' but really it's just sausages and mashed potatoes :0)
Throughout the week we try to get together with the students outside of class time so that it becomes a comfortable environment for them. If they feel comfortable enough they begin to ask questions about our faith. Luckily, I'm here for a while so I have lots of time to build great relationships.
One of the girls in my class asked me yesterday. ..."What did you study in university?" I told her I'd been to Bible school for 3 yrs. She had a puzzled look on her face and said, "Why don't you teach Bible?" I just said, "Anytime, I can teach you about the Bible, even in English class. She gave a smile of interest and I praised the Lord. Pray for Ew that she would remain interested and that the Lord would give me wisdom on what to teach from scripture. Have you ever had one of those....'it's happening' moments...an open door, an opportunity staring you in the face...well, I'm beginning to feel that. Praise the Lord! In His Time...

1 comment:

Hamster said...

Hi Try

www.thaifoodtonight.com
It's got about 30 recipes each one with a cooking video to go along. Free too