Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Song Taow's and Tuck Tuck--Cultural Nugget

If you don't own a motorbike chances are you'll be hoping into one of these... Song Taow (a pic up with a back cover) or a Tuck Tuck (a motobike with an extra wheel :0) ) I recently rode in one from the airport after seeing a friend off to the States and this kind elderly man wanted to take me back to the city. You have to understand that normally these would cost 30-40 baht for a trip within the city, but I was outside the city and it was close to 9 p.m. He charged me and a couple others 20baht each, he easily could have charged us more. Most drivers love to have the privelege of a westerner riding with them and he was excited to here that I was staying in Chaing Mai for a year. I gave him more than he asked, he was the friendliest man. He certainly made me feel like royalty :0) Song Taow's (tow) will take you to major landmarks and you may have to walk the rest to reach your destination (which is never really far away). Tuck Tuck's take you right to the exact place if you want them to. I love the idea of the Tuck Tuck because you feel so special...it's like you have a limo driver...exept...smaller :0) However, they normally cost a bit more than the Song Taow does. Song Taow drivers will always try to get more from a westerner, because they think we are loaded. they'll say 40 baht....or go as high as 60 baht; but you just smile and say 20 baht. If he doesn't want it...he'll leave. They are not controlled by the costumer. If they happen to be going in the direction you are then they'll take you; if not, then you wait for the next one. Now instead of whistling for one like you would a taxi or even waving or screaming one down, you simply stand on the edge of the street, hold your hand out a little ways into the street --palm down and pull your fingers toward your palm. They'll stop everytime. I live close to the Centre so I don't need to take one everyday like some of my co-workers do. I like to take them to the mall or some cafe too far to walk to. Mostly to the mall, or grocery store. I would walk more, but it's either too hot or you feel like a fool, because no one walks in Chiang Mai. Unless it's at night at a market or something, but never for the fun of it...seriously, not one walks. The only people I see walking are other westerners :0) Here are some other views from a Song Taow: This is "The Central"--the mall I normally go to, and a views looking out from it: You could also take a normal taxi, but this is far too expensive in comparison to either of the other two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on what Thialand is like...we wouldn't have a clue!

Anonymous said...

Hey Miche! My family and I have been checking out your blog. It's awesome how we can stay updated on all of your thialand experiances! Wow those snails are soooo small! Haha just kidding of course! There HUGE! Keep us updated!:0)We love you!

-Chanelle

P.S. Mom finally isn't so worried anymore! She says you look great and seem happy.