Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thailand 'FEETure'--culture nugget

Here's a little culture nugget from Thailand...
Feet in Thailand are considered dirty and disrespectful. Everyone is required to remove their shoes before entering a home; not so much at a mall or some restaurant, but you never wear your shoes into a home; it's a sign of respect. Also, Thai people are taught early on, that when with a group of people you must never point your foot at someone. Especially in the company of older people. So if you decide to cross your legs, you better make sure that no one is in line with where your foot is pointing; otherwise, someone will take offense. Even if both feet are on the ground and you bob your foot up and down repeatedly, it is extremely disrespectful. For anyone who know me at all, you would know that I have a hard time to keep still :0) I'm constantly moving my feet or have my legs crossed and moving my foot repeatedly. Thankfully, I learned this cultural nugget before I offended anyone. However, I must say it's so hard to focus on not moving so much :0) "Alex, you'd be able to feel my pain."

2 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I think the Thai custom of removing shoes is excellent. I wish more people here in England would adopt it.

I have an whole blog about removing shoes.
Shoes Off at the Door, Please
You might want to take a look.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!!! I understand your pain of not bobbing your feet...you must be in agony!